Thursday, April 12, 2007

...of all the days

i had a lot of plans today. they involved a lot of walking. and as anyone in new england knows today, in a drastic comparison to the past week or so, is a terrible mess of freezing rain and bits of ice. so no risd museum, no letter writing in the jewelry district while drinking coffee and eating bagels, no art supply shopping.

instead i have been inside. i have been huddled away in my bedroom, space heater on, answering emails and fussing with this and that. the news was on at one point, which is when i found out that kurt vonnegut had died last night.

it's funny...there was this brief moment of sadness. kurt vonnegut, much like dinosaur jr., completely spun me in my tracks during those malleable high school years. he helped shape my sense of humor and gave me a new perspective on the world and personal experience. i wasn't surprised by the feeling of loss.

equally, i wasn't surprised when a few moments later i felt maybe pride but definitely a quiet happiness for him. he, like my grandmom who passed this summer at 94, was ready to go...beyond ready to go. if i could, i would congratulate him.

No comments: